Friday 9 October 2009

A few Spartans more...

Thanks for all the visits yesterday! 

Today I'm posting the balance of my Spartan army.  Together with the Tegeans, cavalry and peltasts (shown in earlier posts), I suppose that I have roughly 200 miniatures, the majority of which are Foundry WotGs, superbly painted by Nick Speller.  All the pictures are clickable.


Phalanx 1


Phalanx 2


Ekdromoi (younger Spartans trained to run out of the phalanx to catch enemy peltasts)


Ekdromoi detail


Allied Hoplites (some painted by Andy Bryant, and some by myself)

So what I need, next, is time enough to paint a similar size Theban (or Athenian) army for them to fight.  Ideally I also need a manufacturer of larger 28mm minis to conveniently produce a range of hoplites in Peloponnesian War helmets, such as Pilos and Thracian, to flesh this hypothetical opposing army out!  Ideally with vertical spears, because the figures in the attacking poses are so hard to rank...

7 comments:

Caliban said...

Hi Simon - nice and mean looking. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of this lot, which I suppose is probably the response you would like to hear!

Cheers
Paul

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Paul! Terrible thing is, I think most have only been used 3 or 4 times. I need to put that right...

Cheers, Simon

The Doc said...

Oh, man! You are showing me the way! Spectacular force. I love the Ekdromoi, fantastic idea. Amazing bases and great composition. It's a pity they don't seem to exist in FOG, the system we'll be probably playing in.

I also like the fact that your Spartans seem to have a different Bronze colour to your Allies. I was meaning to do that and now I can see that it would work and look great.

Let us fight in the shade, BigRedBat!

BigRedBat said...

Cheers Doc! The cunning change in metallic colour relates to the fact it is a different painter, rather than any aesthetic consideration. :)

Might be worth looking at Perfect Captain's Hoplomachia rules. They look somewhat complicated, but are free and would give a very classical Greek flavour to a hoplite clash.

Andy McMaster said...

They are very nice. Makes me want to paint a few 15mm equivalents myself!

Really good stuff on your blog. Enjoy popping by. Keep up the good work!

Andy

Giles said...

That's a fantastic army. Very much enjoying perusing your blog, Simon.

Best wishes

Giles

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Andy.

Hi Giles, I've been enjoying your blog, too!