Saturday 24 September 2011

Tarentines for Asculum

The above are (mostly) Aventine Miniatures Tarentine cavalry, which are the first miniatures I'm painting specifically for next year's planned Asculum game.  I've wanted some units of Tarentines for years, they are so useful for many Successor-era battles.  Back in the days of WRG I used to use 3 small units of 4 Tarentines to pin the enemy so my Polybian legions could get stuck in; they won load of games for me, and have been a favourite troop type ever since!

I've mixed in 8 Foundry horses, and 6 Foundry Greek riders, just because I have them.  The riders blend in perfectly; the Foundry horses are a tad larger, but go pretty well, too.  Plan is to do 3 units of 8 light cavalry, and then see what Keith and Adam come up with for the heavies.  The Aventine minis are lovely sculpts, with vrtually no mould lines.

4 comments:

Craig said...

Hi Simon,

About 3/4 of the way through my dozen Tarentines, although I'm not sure yet if I'll base them as open order or more like medium cavalry.

They're a real pleasure to paint, as always.

Hopefully I'll get them finished in the next few days and get some picutes up on my blog.

Regards,
Craig

BigRedBat said...

Hi Craig, mine will be open order, as I will want to use them with my Successor armies I hope to eventually deploy. I've got various Aventine and WotG figures in breastplates and linothorax that should make reasonable medium Cav (we'll need bags of them!). Can't wait to see your photos.

Cheers, Simon

Chris R said...

Hi Simon

I'd like to take those Saxons etc off your hands. If they are still available please let me know and I'll send you the £22 by PayPal if that's ok.

Chris Rance

BigRedBat said...

Hi Chris, brilliant; please paypal me at simon.miller at lineone.net, stick you address in the comments section.

Cheers, Simon