Tuesday 11 October 2011

Under the Brush...


These chaps will shortly become a cohort of Legio IV Scythica.  They will have the mail coifs, scale armour and the shield from Dura Europos, and will form the second unit in my nascent Middle Imperial army.  I don't intend this to be a huge army, but the minis are far too nice, not to have one. 

On a different note, I'm very much looking forward to the slightly earlier Marcommanic Wars range of Roman figures that Aventine are producing sculpted by Adam who also sculpted the A&A minis.  I will be starting a unit of them, just as soon as the officers and transfers are ready!  They represent a sort of "missing link" between my Trajanic Legionaries, and the A&A Middle Imperials. 

6 comments:

Sire Godefroy said...

They look fab. Good to see A&A put forward on various sites these days. They clearly deserve it - and yes, they are fully compatible to Aventine's latest which is a nice touch.

Looking forward to the cohort.

Cheers
SG

BigRedBat said...

Thanks SG, people do really great work painting this range.

It has also been pointed out to me they are the army of Ballista (from the Harry Sidebotham novels), which should help keep my enthusiasm levels up!

Ray Rousell said...

Now they look fantastic and you've not even finished them yet!!!!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

What Ray said and I second what SG said.

Christopher

BigRedBat said...

Ray, my secret is that the nice, finished ones were painted by someone else! I bought them from the 'states, the painter was very talented. I'm trying to copy his style...

Paul´s Bods said...

Very nice...you definately have to build an army of them. I tried to make similar looking figs (conversions) when i was into 20mm romans..the coifs proved too much.
Cheers
paul