Friday 22 June 2012

More Happy Legionaries

This is the second batch of Happy's (Gordon Smith's) Aventine Early Imperial Romans, which he has kindly let me host.  They were painted between Sunday and Wednesday, I gather, which is at least 5 times as fast as I can paint! All pics are clickable.



Gordon puts his rapid painting speed down to Devlan Mud washes.  He was more than a little distressed yesterday, when I told him that the product has been discontinued!  





These are all head-swaps on the standard legionary bods, as Gordon wanted an entire unit with crested helmets. He has added some Foundry casualty figures.  

I really love what Gordon has achieved here, each stand is a beautiful diorama in it's own right!  Also I'm liking the animated Aventine poses more and more, each time I see them.

14 comments:

EinarOlafson said...

That´s fast painting indeed!! Very nice!!

legatus hedlius said...

Fantastic. I'm going to have to get some of these Aventine figures, I think!

Dan said...

Great looking Romans.

Matt said...

Those look superb indeed!

In fact I've just ordered a few of these figures from Aventine to see if they'd be a good alternative to BTD figures.

Matt

DeanM said...

Great looking unit, love the variation on the bases - casualties and such. Best, Dean

Dalauppror said...

Lovely Romans !!!

Happy said...

If anyone thinks they would buy the romans with the plumes please let keith know. He's considering a range of them, and having them cast is a damned site easier than removing the heads believe me!

roma912 said...

Excellent looking Romans! I struggle to paint a figure in that time scale at present.

Devlan Mud has been renamed in the GW paint range as Agrax Earthshade, I can't say if it is exactly the same though.

Cheers
Ross

BigRedBat said...

Alas the Agrax isn't the same. Army Painter make a product that is supposed to be very similar to Devlan, Mud, though.

Happy said...

Spoke to GW the new stuff not same as the devlin mud.Its supposed to flow into creases more,thus will have a lighter coat on the raised bits. GW man says couple of coats of new stuff should equate to one devlin mud............so I will now use 2 times the GW product I used to use.Must try the stuff you sent me the link for Simon.remind me when i'm back please.

BigRedBat said...

Some have complained that the new stuff stains the paint more than Devlan, so it's not so good. I've not tried it yet so can't comment... have a great break!

Cyrus said...

Superb work. The Army Painter acrylic ink washes are worth a look. Strong Tone gives a good brown wash.

Jason Meyers said...

Great looking figs as always. Very nicely done!

Just posted on my blog about testing out replacements for Devlan Mud and some other discontinued GW washes that I really liked. Might be helpful, feel free to take a look:

http://derfeldmarschall.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-i-survived-gw-paintocalypse-of-2012.html

Cheers,
Jason

Tarty said...

Wow amazing....that's quick.