Wednesday 18 July 2012

A brief diversion into terrain, part I

For the game at Partizan (of which more, anon), I'm going to need to make up some vineyards, of a type used by the Romans- tall poles, on which the grapes would grow, overhead. A Syrian neighbour built something very similar in his garden, one year.  These need to be able to accomodate troops but also to store away neatly, hopefully 4 to a 7L Really Useful box.


I pushed bamboo skewers through a 5mm sheet of foamcore, on a 70mm grid, to make a template.  I then cut 45mm lengths of skewer as the uprights, and cut beams of spruce and bamboo to go across them.  I stuck everything together with wood glue, it is reasonably rigid, and will become more so, as I plan to reinforce it.


Above are the first 2 frames, of 4 planned.  They are going to be freestanding, so troops can easily be placed under the vines.  A promising start!  Also a nice change from painting and basing.

8 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

Interesting. How are you going to make the vines?
Cheers
paul

BigRedBat said...

Hi Paul, I'm thinking some combination of string, thread and clump foliage. It'll be a journey of discovery.

Cheers, Simon

Allen said...

Wow! I thought I was the only one who bought foamcore by the sheed!

BigRedBat said...

Hi Allen, I've never used it very much, but I bought a load recently, am planning to make the Postumian Way out of foamcore!

Cheers, Simon

Curt said...

Very nice. I look forward to seeing how these turn out.

Matt said...

This does look interesting!

I managed to get hold of about 10 sq metres of foamcore sheets when my company moved office. Jolly useful stuff.

Regards

Matt

Scottswargaming said...

I'll be intrigued to see how you do your vines.

BigRedBat said...

Vines are mostly on, will post a photo later...