Monday 24 September 2012

Cohortes Praetoriae

These are the two cohorts of Praetorian guards that I needed for the Ad Castores game.  There were 9 cohorts of Praetorians in the Othonian army, but only 3 were sent northwards, initially, to resist the surprise transalpine Vitellian invasion.


Most of the miniatures are the single Foundry Saleh pose, which luckily I love.  They were superbly painted for me by my friend Nick Speller.  I do love the striped pila shafts he painted...  I added the shield transfers, some highlights, varnished and based them.  The grimacing Optio in the front rank is a Black Tree conversion, and the cornicen and signifer are converted A&A's.   I'm particularly proud of the standards, which I extended by a cm or so, to make them suitably imposing.  The shield transfers are, of course, LBMS.  


Since originally sending these off to be painted, I've picked up some 3 dozen more unpainted Praetorians, and I'm minded to paint another cohort or two, so that I can use some of the lovely red LBMS transfers.  And after all, at the battle of Cremona, there were Praetorians on both sides!

9 comments:

DeanM said...

Gorgeous unit. Best, Dean

Paulalba said...

They look great!

Galpy said...

they look fantastic great painting

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps! Am well pleased with them.

legatus hedlius said...

Imposing is the word! Excellent unit!

Tarty said...

Very nice job indeed, shields look great.

fireymonkeyboy said...

Yep. That blue on the shields is tasty.

Scottswargaming said...

Great en-masse look!

Dalauppror said...

Stunning work !!!

Best regards Michael