Sunday 21 October 2012

Chalons, 451 AD

Yesterday I played a fine game using the Comitatus rules, with their author, Simon MacDowell.  We refought the battle of Chalons as a rehearsal for the game that he has planned for the Society of Ancients Battle Day in Bletchley, next April 13th.  Simon was a generous host and I frothed over the miniatures in his display cabinets...

Simon has started to write the battle up here.  Rather than steal his thunder, I'll show some shots of his excellent miniatures.  These were 15's, but have more detail than many of my 28's.  I played the Romans, or rather the side that included a few token Romans amongst a host of Germans!  This unit were some of my Auxilia Palatina. 


Below is Flavius Aetius, last of the great Western Roman generals, and his Comitatus.


...and here is Attila, Scourge of God!


Unfortunately I forgot to take a closeup picture of King Theooric I, the Visigothic leader, who also played a siignificant role in the battle, but here he is, charging at the head of his Comitatus (left, below).  Simon had suggested that I hold him in reserve, but I preferred to use him in the manner of Theoden King, at the Pelennor fields...


The shields of the Visigothic foot, beyond him, are splendid!

EDIT- Simon McD reminded me that there is, indeed, a closeup of the impetuous Theodoric:-

9 comments:

Willie Anderson said...

Nice figures the paint job is great!

BigRedBat said...

Willie, he has thousands of them... and his 28's are even nicer!

Sire Godefroy said...

Looks like a fabulous gaming opportunity. Did you care to ask which make these figures are? They look familiar (Baueda?), but I couldn't find any info on your friend's site either.

Cheers
SG

Paul´s Bods said...

They look great..especially seeing as they are 15mm´s!
Cheers
paul

BigRedBat said...

Hi SG, Simon McD mentioned that some are Khurasan, but I think that he has been collecting them over quite a few years. I think I saw a lot of Essex, amongst them.

You can ask him here:-
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=284396

Hi Paul, nearer your scale!

Cheers, Simon

fireymonkeyboy said...

Saw this on the other blog, and then yours. Then immediately brought it to the attention of the local club. Fantastic looking game.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks FMB- it'll be gamed again in April at the SOA day in Bletchley.

Cheers, Simon

Tarty said...

Great stuff, yes wonderful for 15mm.

Phil said...

Great pictures and figures!