Tuesday 3 September 2013

Thapsus goes to Partizan!

On Sunday I had a pre-dawn start up to Newark for Partizan.  I had a nice clear drive up the A1 in my new-ish war wagon. As my games get bigger, I find that the task of loading and unloading everything is getting more taxing... and this year it was quite a job!  


I eventually got the boards set up, ate a bacon butty, and John arrived and helped me to set up the troops. The above view (all photos are clickable) is from the salt-lake side, across the isthmus, towards the sea at the rear. The more numerous Pompeians and their Numidian allies are on the left, and Caesar's legions on the right. There is a light scattering of scrub and olive trees, but no terrain that will impact the battle.


Here's the view from the sea wing. I eventually decided to name the ship "Venus", after Caesar's patron goddess (and the scurrilous song!).  Hilariously, Dug kept forgetting to move it, but brought its ballista into use by the end of the game.


Above is Caesar, beautifully painted by Andres of Einar Olafson, and received just before the game. He's a conversion using Foundry, Aventine and Warlord parts, and I'm going to paint a standard bearer to accompany him.

Later Dug, Dr Phil and his son Tim arrived, and we were quorate to kick the game off. A brief run through the rules (the Lite version of my own "To the Strongest!" set), and we were off! The players looked a little slack-jawed when the first unit was destroyed, within 30 seconds of play commencing. Shortly after this, I demonstrated why it is important to remember to move one's elephants... in a blue-on-blue incident, mine rampaged back through two of my units and trampled my general to death.  The 3 Aces are my failed saving cards.


On the other wing, however, Tim's elephants performed prodigies and smashed deep into the enemy lines (below).


This enabled us to turn the flank of Caesar's legions, but unfortunately they had done much the same to us on my other wing.  Below, playing cards are used to activate units and resolve combat.  The first time I've not needed to take dice along to a game!


Below is a shot of the clash of legionaries in the centre. Several cohorts eventually managed to turn onto the flanks of other cohorts.


I estimate that  we managed to only get 2-3 hours or so of play in during the whole day, as we started late, chatted to lots of people, did some shopping, took pictures of other games and so forth, so we didn't quite finish the game.  Caesar was ahead at the end, though, but not by as much as on the day in 46 BC, so, in that sense, it was a moral victory for Scipio.   Below is a shot of the late-game carnage; I was running out of places to put my casualties!


We had a great day, so thanks to Dug, John, Dr. Phil, Tim and Craig, who played, and a big hello to everyone who called by to have a look!  Especial thanks to Dug for his photos, and John for helping me pack up at the end.  Dr Phil and John had some useful suggestions for rules tweaks.  Oh, and huge thanks to the Partizan crowd for being such great hosts!  

26 comments:

Jay said...

Great layout, Sir.

Ray Rousell said...

Looks a fantastic game!

Grigork said...

I enjoyed looking at it on the day, and you were obviously having lots of fun. Great stuff.

Dalauppror said...

Stunning !!!

Lovely pictures of lovely minis!

Greate with the water and your boat !

Best regards Michael

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps! It was, indeed, a lot of fun.

Handgrenadealien said...

Once again something to aspire to; any chance your rules will ever be available for general release?

Regards HGA.

BigRedBat said...

Hi HGA, they will definitely be published in some fashion, but not quite yet as I'm still tweaking.

I have another outing at Colours Newbury on Saturday/Sunday week, I don't suppose you live up that way? I'd like to get as many people to play it as I can, to solicit views...

Cheers, Simon

fireymonkeyboy said...

Another fantastic game. Wonderful.

Prufrock said...

Looks really good, Simon. Great job!

Millsy said...

Inspirational stuff! Thanks for sharing

Barry Lee said...

Awesome stuff Simon. Glad to see you had a great time. I'm going to make sure I do one o both partisans next year.

saxon dog said...

It was a fantastic layout and well done!

Caliban said...

Lovely looking game, Simon. Congrats on the article in WSS as well by the way!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks all!

Barry, Partizan is well worth a go, my favourite show on account of general friendliness and cathedral-like space.

I've just started planning my game for next September... :-)

Phil said...

Amazing battlefield, a fantastic looking table and some beautiful armies!

Opa Wuttke said...

Absolutely awesome ! Great table !

WimVdB said...

The look of a table, full of toy soldiers is great! I wish I could play a game with your rules, just to see how they play.

I'm working on my own armies again, after a long hiatus. In hope to once bring a game this size to the wargames table.

Thanks for inspiration!

Sean said...

Great looking game. Glad you had fun at the show.

Moiterei_1984 said...

What a great looking table!

Evan Hughes said...

All those cohorts gleaming in crimson and gold (to paraphrase Byron) make for one hell of a spectacle; that must have been a great day out!

Mike said...

That game looks great. I love that a unit was destroyed 30 seconds into the game; must be a good system.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks everyone!

A good system, or perhaps a bloody system, Mike...

BigRedBat said...

Thanks everyone!

A good system, or perhaps a bloody system, Mike...

legatus hedlius said...

This looks fantastic!

Hoping to get the galley done by next weekend. The ship itself is now painted but its the rigging and oars I have to worry about this week. AT least I know how to do the oars now anyway and I have worked out most of the rigging too. The sail is still a problem though!

BigRedBat said...

Hi Stephen, I very much look forward to seeing it! I'm industriously painting Numidians.

Cheers, Simon

Cyrus said...

Another fantastic looking game Simon!